KMAC Youth Council
The KMAC Youth Council had their first meeting in July 2018. There was an outstanding attendance of eight Robe River Kuruma (RRK) youth present. Daniel Farmer was nominated as the Chairperson and was appointed by the group. The Youth Council have now held two further meetings with new faces joining each month!
The Youth Council hopes to;
- Develop their leadership potential and fulfil leadership positions in the RRK community
- Identify the topics that are important to young RRK people, and deliver related projects
- Ensure that the views of young RRK people are heard when decisions are made
- Enjoy working towards positive change in the RRK community and around issues that affect RRK youth
On the 7th September 2018, the Youth Council was successful in securing a spot in the 2019 the ABC Trailblazers program.
The Youth Council will receive;
- An ABC-produced video about the Youth Council, which will be shared nationally through the ABC’s networks
- An all-expenses-paid trip for three Youth Council members to the Heywire Regional Youth Summit in Canberra in February 2019
- Five days of intensive networking, communications training, and mentorship from experts
- The chance to present the Youth Council to funders, policymakers and the media
- Recognition as a 2019 ABC Heywire Trailblazer
The KMAC youth council aims to become leaders within the community, build their capability and being confident for when it is their time to become leaders.
The future for KMAC is bright with strong RRK youth in training and we are excited to see what else they will achieve!!
For more information about the Trailblazers Program visit Trailblazers